Wedding DIY: Sugar Roses and Button Holes

Whenever someone tells me the news about a couple getting married, I immediately think how expensive it can be. But now I’m engaged, that doesn’t have to be the case if you budget and plan carefully.


I like to think I am a creative person and if I can make anything myself, I will always give it a go. It may go ass over tit but to hell with it, at least I tried!

I don’t want to give too much away but Tom and I want to try and make a few of our wedding decorations ourselves. With this in mind, last weekend my Mum and I had our first attempt at making edible sugar roses and some button holes.

Oh my gosh, if you’ve never tried making either of them, have a go. It’s the most therapeutic thing and they are so easy to do…



The edible sugar flowers were more difficult then we initially thought but nevertheless they looked so pretty!

With a simple cutter, edible modelling paste, a small rolling pin and edible glue, we created sugar roses that took no time at all. If you don’t believe me just watch the tutorial we followed here.

Tip: Next time we’ll probably try a different colour that matches our colour theme and mix the modelling paste with sugar paste. This will ensure the paste is less likely to crack and easier to mould. In my opinion I thought the cracks in the paste made them look more realistic.




If your looking to try and make your own decorations, make your own centre pieces or even thinking about having a go at making your own wedding cake, why not have a go? Even if it takes a couple of tries, it may save you a lot of money in the long run.

Or you may find that it's more difficult then you imagined, but at least you can say that you tried :)

Comments